The Borough was named Scottdale in honor of Colonel Thomas A. Scott, who was Assistant Secretary of War during the Civil War, and later president of the Pennsylvania Railroad when it opened its Scottdale branch during the spring of 1873.
The Borough of Scottdale itself was incorporated on February 5, 1874. The railroads, along with the coal and coke industry played a prominent role in the prosperity and development of the community. By the early 1900’s, there were 30,000 coke ovens in the area, while Scottdale was centrally located with hundreds of mining companies surrounding it. The railroads were used to ship coal and coke to various industrial markets throughout the country.